Fort Montagu is located on the seaside, just off East Bay street, about a mile or so east of the city centre.
Fort Montagu sits on the site of an earlier structure dating to c.1725 -1728. The present fort was built between 1741-1742 by Engineer Peter Henry Bruce during the governorship of John Tinker (1735-1758). It was built of locally cut limestone and named after the Duke of Montagu.
Originally, the fort contained a rain water cistern, barracks for officer and soldiers, a guardroom and powder magazine.
For more information call 326-2566 or email firstname.lastname@example.org